Your first Drupal 8 module
Click here to watch Your first Drupal 8 module.
Drupal 8 will be a whole new animal. Module development will no longer consist of "throw hooks at it until it works" but a careful construction of services, plugins, controllers, and listeners. Keeping a Drupal 8 site happy involves fewer arrays and more objects for it to play with. And what's this HttpKernel thing?
This session will be a hands-on tour of the new systems in Drupal 8. Attendees will be walked through the process of writing a module for Drupal 8, with an exploration of the new system's architecture along the way. Also, cute animals.
Topics to cover
- Services (No, not web services)
- The state system
- Plugins (All the things!)
- Blocks (They're cool now)
- Controllers and Routes
- Event listeners
- Configuration and deployment
What to bring
- A laptop with a working development environment
- A fresh Drupal 8 checkout, already installed
- A desire to get a jump on Drupal 8
- Your favorite stuffed animal (You'll see why...)